Sesame Body Massage Oil
Benefits of Sesame Oil:
The sesame seed, Sesamum indicum, is a tiny gem that packs a mighty punch. Each sesame seed is protected by an outer shell that naturally opens when the seed ripens (giving rise to the phrase Open Sesame At this time the seeds are ready to be pressed into light golden sesame oil.
Sesame seed is rich in a number of nutrients, including calcium, copper, manganese, iron, zinc, thiamine, and magnesium (2). It also contains a good bit of dietary fiber, supporting a healthy colon.
Sesame oil has been used to support numerous healthy systems in the body, including the nervous system, bones and muscles, skin and hair, the digestive tract including the colon, and the male and female reproductive system (1).
Sesame Oil and Ayurveda: Traditional Uses
The sesame seed, from an Ayurvedic perspective, is sweet, pungent, astringent, and bitter, and has a heating effect (1). Its greatest benefit is in balancing vata. The heating nature of sesame can also be good for kapha, though you must be careful in cases of excess kapha as it is also heavy and building. It grows in a dry climate, and in turn, is beneficial when the dry quality is in excess (1).
Nourishing, calming and warming, sesame oil is a fundamental part of the nurturing Ayurvedic massage tradition of India. Self-massage with sesame oil is highly recommended for these benefits:
- Bolsters your ability to handle stress
- Promotes physical strength
- Nourishes muscles & bones
- Supports comfortable joint movement
- Promotes sound sleep patterns
- Supports the intellect & nervous system
- Nourishes skin and hair
In addition to massage, traditional Ayurvedic uses of sesame oil include the following:
- Swish in the mouth to support strong teeth and gums (3). It has also been shown in a study to reduce the amount of bacteria in the mouth (4).
- Used to lubricate and support the bowel and soften the stool (1).
- As a vaginal douche to help maintain healthy vaginal balance (3).
- Used for local massage to reduce vata. For example, warm massage on the abdomen can help reduce imbalanced vata in the abdomen.
- Warm oil in the ear helps support ear health.